WELCOME TO OUR EXCLUSIVE SITE FOR

CLUB KATNOOK MEMBERS

Please confirm that you are of legal drinking age in the country from which you're accessing this site.

By entering this site you agree to our terms and privacy policy

Cart 0 items: $0.00

Katnook Estate

Katnook Prodigy Shiraz 2012

Katnook Prodigy Shiraz 2012

Katnook Prodigy Shiraz is crafted from the vintages where superior quality is achieved. Crafted with meticulous attention to detail, it is a seamless blend of intense fruit and extended oak maturation. The first vintage of this wine was in 1997 - it won Australia's most prestigious trophy, the Jimmy Watson.

Katnook Prodigy Shiraz was one of 65 wines listed in the ‘Excellent’ category of the Langton’s VI, Classification of Australian Wine. The 2012 is the 13th vintage release.

James Halliday rated this wine 96 points describing it as " Prodigy marches to the tune of its own drum, and practice has long since made perfect. Despite all the winemaking, and in particular the time spent in oak, it has retained balance, emerging at the end of the process as elegant, the tannins supple, the wine fresh." 

In Stock
Add To Cart
$121.00
/ Bottle
SKU: 586810
Wine Specs
Vintage
Varietal
Shiraz
Harvest Date
20th - 22nd March 2012
Acid
6.1 g/l
pH
Aging
15 years
Residual Sugar
2.9 g/l
Alcohol %
James Halliday
Wine Profile
Vineyard Notes
Above average summer temperatures and below average rainfall lead to low yields and one of the earliest vintages on record. Prodigy is crafted from small parcels of grapes harvested from plots that have consistently produced outstanding Shiraz fruit quality.
Production Notes
This wine matured for 25 months in barriques of which 21% were new French oak, 27% new American and 22% older French oak.
Winemaker Notes
Rich, deep red with raspberry and plum aromas with a touch of spice. Intense, white pepper/plum flavours seamlessly integrated with fine tannins, which are in harmony with the well-rounded palate structure and lingering finish.
Food Pairing Notes
Venison or chargrilled scotch fillet with pepper sauce. Also the perfect accompaniment to a selection of hard cheeses with brioche, paté and quince paste.

Product Reviews

Marc Wachsmann's Gravatar
Marc Wachsmann
(23/05/2017 at 12:20 AM)
I was delighted to find this wine at a new bistro that opened near my work. It was sold on there Coravin list. I assumed the wine would've been a Cabernet as it just stated that it was from Coonawara and the vintage date. As soon as the sommelier had started pouring the wine in to a glass using this amazing gadget, I could smell the dark berry fruit from over a meter and half away. Despite the wine approaching its 20th birthday it was still in utterly perfect condition, The wine hadn't just survived 20 years of ageing it had thrived on it and was utterly delicious and in my opinion it still has a really long life ahead. Aussie Shiraz is a massive passion of mine and I've tried much more expensive bottles from Torbreck that were 10-15 years old and they certainly weren't in as good a a state. I've just ordered a few bottles of the 2005 from a local wine shop and I'm really looking forward to tasting them soon. Pleased to see they've switched to screwcap, as the cork was always going to fail long before this wine falls apart.

Add A Product Review
E-Mail me when someone reviews this product
Leave this field blank:

Share this: